Monday, November 10, 2008

Weaving for TAFE

Having recently returned from a holiday (maybe more on that later) I was able to get into the weaving required for a pass in the weaving component of the TAFE course. Winding the warp was a disaster and very time consuming due to forgetfulness and errors. It took the good part of two days before I finally had success at winding the warp and transferring it to the loom. Hopefully, the experience has taught me a lot that I will actually be able to retain. Maybe...


Here is the weaving in progress. These are samples of traditional patterns.


Here is some plain weave I did just for the experience of whipping the shuttle to and fro, instead of the immense concentration it takes to do a pattern.


These following patterns are from the Johann Schleelein's no. 123 series. Sounds pretty bloody professional, just a pity I really don't know what I'm talking about...yet.

This sample demonstrates atrocious beating.


And this one I'm pleased with. Just as well as I need to use it for a final piece. For the weft I used chunky yarn that was dyed in gradations.


I like this sample also, mainly for the subtlety of the colours used.


And this is what it looked like when taken from the loom. The warping up of the loom took me longer than the weaving!

No comments: