What is the Alpaca Project? Answer HERE.
I mordanted a batch of alpaca yarn in a solution of alum and cream of tartar, and while I was at it I mordanted some silk and merino wool rovings.
First I tried dyeing in a boiling pot of CHOISYA TERNATA aka MEXICAN ORANGE BLOSSOM. I decided to place the alpaca yarn into a laundry bag to protect it from the moving foliage. It came out of the pot a pale green and dried to a creamier pale green.
Next I wanted a pale pink. So I tried red onion skins which I have been collecting whenever I visit a supermarket.
Not quite. See that ruby red liquid. It gave me an earthy green which dried to quite a nice colour but definitely not a pale pink. Beetroot is looking good. I thought it may have been the aluminium pot so I repeated the exercise in a stainless steel pot, and yes, it was different – just a little bit darker green.
I consulted all my gurus about this but I'm still no wiser. Maybe someone out there in blog land can enlighten me.
While the pots boiled I did some spinning in the beautiful autumn weather. More frothy alpaca yarn.